Tuesday 24 April 2007

Day 50 - progress audit mk2

OK, time to take stock of where I am with things.

Just 11 days until my 30th birthday. It doesn't look like my book deal will be in place by then.

BUT - who cares about time? Time is one of the biggest illusions of all.

Will I really be any different whatsoever when I turn 30?

No.

I'll just have a new label. And labels, very much like time, are totally meaningless.

I would say the manifestation of How To Survive Your 20's continues at good speed. Maybe not as fast as I hoped, but truly I now realise that the journey itself is the destination - and that is key to completing good work.

I also realise much much more about the way the world works than when I started 50 days ago. You've got to slow down to speed up. It's so important to react to synchronistic events. Things that happen to us happen for a reason. And positive thought and Kaizen rule.

I have 3 weeks left of my writing course, at the end of which I will have a book proposal to show to publishers. As long as I fill those 3 weeks with as much good work and positive thought as is humanly possible, and ignore the difficulties that life presents me with, I feel I have enough material now to really present my case for a publisher in an authoritarian, unique manner. That should be possible - potential house move and trip vegas to celebrate 30th aside.

Vegas is starting to feel like a major thorn in the side of my progress. 'It's only 3 days' i keep telling myself.

But let's look further into my blog and the rationale for setting out on this project in the first place. I am aiming to put The Secret to the test. To ask, believe and recieve that my work will be published and I become a bestseller.

I believe in these mantras more than ever. There are so many signs that they are conspiring to help me.

So I was again dissapointed to see another British newspaper, the Evening Standard, slagging The Secret off yesterday.

Laura Craik, who used to be the fashion dolly for the paper, has taken a dislike to it after her single girlfriends told her to get a copy of the book. She kinda implies that all single girls are self help junkies, and also gets nicely smug about the fact that she is s) in a relationship and b) so busy toiling at work that she has to order a copy from amazon as opposed to trot down ken high street to get a copy from waterstone's. Craik says that watching paint dry is more interesting and The Secret is 'quacky'.

She closes her tirade against The Secret by saying 'if you want spiritual enlightenment, try the church. Or failing that, the bottom of a beer glass. The Secret? There isn't one. The Truth? Life's a bitch and then you die.'

Now, surely even the most hard nosed sceptics can see how sad, bitter and plain unnattractive that piece of journalism actually is?

I mean, the church for goodness's sake? In these times, how out of tune is that? And as for the bottom of a beer glass, maybe that is where Craik finds herself all too often. Craik looks as tight lipped as her writing suggests, and again I would like to ask why almost every mainstream UK media title has now ranted against The Secret as a 'quacky money making scheme'. And none of the 'journalists' even put The Sercet to the test!!! How can they claim to be providing a good service to their readers if they make such huge negative assumptions?

I say it again: Why not simply start publishing exerpts from this blog every day and put The Secret to the test properly, by someone who genuinely believes it will work?

All this negativity makes progress difficult. Constantly having moments of doubt instilled in me by the media just sucks. Not just for me but for eveyone that Craik so despises who uses The Secret to great effect.

It's whiny, cynical, destructive and plain British.

Conversely, America has embraced The Secret with open arms. Oprah has done 2 one hour specials on it. It is top of the NY Times bestseller list. The DVD has sold 2million copies. They even gave it away in the goody bags on Oscar night - a sure fire sign that the establishment has bought into it.

It's a classic sign of America's strengths winning over British weaknesses.

We are so negative as a nation. Our first instinct is to say why we can't do something. America's is to say why they can.

My progress continues in this most difficult environment, but surrounded by such negativity and cynicism it is tough.

I am starting to feel that the answer may lie elswhere.

Many synchronistic things have recently pointed me to America.

I may start to react to them soon.

Writitng time: 4 hours

Manifestation: 90%

1 comment:

Kim/Thomas said...

While I was reading that post, I was thinking..he should me to America, he should move to America, he should move to America...

and then you said it!

It's interesting...negativity is really not a good thing...and for the most part, we are taught to not be negative..I mean don't get me wrong, USA has other major problems and plenty of negative people, but as a whole, everything and anything is possible here!

Great post!