Monday 4 June 2007

Day 86 - an awakening story

Awakenings: “An intuitive realisation that change is required”.

Don't you just love 'intuition'? Think about it as a word: 'in'-'tuition'. Tuition from within. I.e. all the answers lie within...

Anyway - awakenings are a form of intuition. You know the ones - when you are driving to work or on the tube and you feel a ‘pang’ that you should be doing something different with your life. Or the moment you realise that you need to break up with someone. When you suddenly think ‘what the hell am I doing with my life?’

It may seem like you have these all the time and you probably do. But why do we always ignore them? We brush them under the carpet and they fester, morphing from wonderful little awakenings into grouchy little voices. It's a strange default setting of the human condition to suppress awakenings - it's down to fear. Fear of change and fear of the unknown.

I for one am going to make every endeavour in life to listen to - and act upon - every single awakening I have from now on. It's quite a daunting task. It means never saying 'oh well, never mind', or 'I can't do that', or 'I’m not doing that it's too scary'.

It's committing to a life outside the comfort zone - but it leads to the rich, sun drenched pastures beyond the matrix.

Because acting upon awakenings – trusting yourself – is one of the greatest feelings that a human being can have.

I was thinking about one I had about a year ago and decided to blog it - I look upon it as one of my biggest moments of clarity.

It came at the age of 29 (a little while before I started this blog), after spending most of my 20’s working in various forms of marketing / advertising / PR. I had been recruited to write / direct a commercial documentary about the gambling industry (funded by an online gambling tycoon), exposing the extensive and corrupt involvement of the 109th Congress with various aspects of the American land based gambling industry, and their attempts to ban online gambling. Albeit morally questionable, It was a fun project to work on – huge budgets, flying all over the world, interviewing politicians and businessmen and high rollers.

Anyway, back to the awakening: I was on a plane flying from Phoenix to Chicago. In Phoenix I had interviewed the world’s leading anti gambling activist, the Reverend Tom Grey. He had seriously impressed me – he was a man on a mission - a man with principles. We got on well and it was a good interview, but it made me feel uneasy – did that guy respect me? Did he even like me? Was he just being polite? I had the feeling that this incredibly fit 65/70 yr old had thought that I was charming, but a bit of a sham. A fake.

So here I am on a plane (feeling uneasy because I always want people to like me), and the in flight movie comes on – it’s ‘Thank you for Smoking’. If you haven’t seen his brilliant movie, rent it now - it's about the lobbying tactics of the big tobacco companies. Cue what I call my ‘Jerry McGuire Moment’. Major Pang. I realised that by directing this film about gambling that I was becoming that lead lobby guy in ‘Thank you For Smoking’ – the guy who promotes smoking as healthy and cool. And I realised that although I loved the process of writing, I’d never actually written anything that was true.

For the first time ever I stopped thinking aboutthe monthly paycheck, and started to think about my place in the world.

And I can't say I liked it.

When I really identified what my place was, and considered the ripple effect it could be having on the world, I just decided there and then to change that – that that existence was not good enough for me – and shortly after that, following a bizzare sequence of events, I sat down and started to write this book.

6 months on I am not earning a conventional salary, but I have manifested ways to survive - prosper even, and I am as happy as I have ever been. Integrity, authenticity, love and trust are all ever present in life.

I know I keep saying it, but I am in alignment.

I just want to take a moment to thank the Reverend for not liking me - it triggered my biggest awakening.

Imagine how the world would be if everyone - every single person - never again chose to ignore an awakening.

If they acted upon every single one...

Writing time: 3 hours

Manifestation: 100%

2 comments:

Kim/Thomas said...

Wow! I so appreciated reading this and yes we should all listen to our intuition closely, we tend to as a habit, to squash it and then pay later!

So many things in life, I have said...I should have listened to myself, so very often now...I do listen..I believe everything and everyone has a purpose in life, I think that everything happens for a reason!

great post:) you are a very inspiring writer! It will be so lovely to see you succeed in helping others!

B said...

That's a great story, MJ. I've had similar moments in my life that really jolted me like that. It is really powerful. And the integrity, love, trust, happiness, fulfillment, etc. that come to you now have nothing to do with luck. You've brought those into your life by following that intuition and seeking a meaningful life.

I really do appreciate intuition. I just don't understand why I don't follow it more! There are major aspects of my life in which I am so great at living by that intuition and others where I am terrible. When I recall the times I have disregarded intuition (they are too many to count), I realize how much pain and struggle could have been avoided if I had only followed that intuition. But I can't think of one time in my life in which intuition bit me in the ass (i.e., when I followed intuition and it did me wrong). Following that intuition is an amazing feeling. It is honest and fulfilling. And really, why do we think that following our intuition requires leaving a comfort zone? What comfort really comes in denying intuition?!

It is curious why we relegate ourselves to misery. We (myself fully included) have the answers within us, yet we complicate them to the point in which we convince ourselves that we "don't know."

I'm happy to hear that the manifestation continues. It is evident in each post, developing beautifully.