Thursday 14 June 2007

Day 92 - further deliberations on how to be

There is so much out there that delivers joy... and yet doesn't cost anything.

So much that increases energy, but doesn't expend it, causing happiness.

And then there is so much that costs us spiritually, which delivers only pleasure.

So much that causes pain, which we interpret as fun.

How did things get so f%$£@d p?!

Here are some quotes from Lao Tzu that I really, really love, but simply can't seem to master:

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
Lao Tzu

Why can't I get present to this?

Born to be wild - live to outgrow it.
Lao Tzu

When will this happen? Am I really in control of my own growth? Why do I remain wild?

By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.
Lao Tzu

Why do I want everything all the time? I waste so much energy on desire.

Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
Lao Tzu

Why do I still lose my temper with people?

I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.
Lao Tzu

Aaaaargh.

Here's some Lao Tzu that I really love, and am just beginning to get on top of:

Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge.
Lao Tzu

Keep tripping up but it's in there somewhere.

To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
Lao Tzu

Definitely getting there - is this called humility?

To lead people walk behind them.
Lao Tzu

Got it, struggling with it.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
Lao Tzu

Trying to meditate daily.

Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.
Lao Tzu

Difficult but necessary.

Now here's some of Lao's quotes that I really love, and which I think are fully integrated with my life:

Because of a great love, one is courageous.
Lao Tzu

Excellent stuff.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Lao Tzu

This is present in every aspect of my work now.

I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any.
Lao Tzu

The laws of the universe will take care of us all - religion is the cause of 90% of misery.

If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.
Lao Tzu

So not afraid of dying. Living each day like it's oging to be my last feels good.

The sage does not hoard. The more he helps others, the more he benefits himself, The more he gives to others, the more he gets himself. The Way of Heaven does one good but never does one harm. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete.
Lao Tzu

On this rather lovely subject, here's another quote I was sent the other day that i subscribe to:

"Can you imagine living in a world, ben, where paying too much, giving too much, and trusting too much would all inevitably make you more?

Yeah, right, that's how this whole business began".

I'm so there.

But Lao Tzu rocks the hardest - out of all the gurus - he's the one for me.

Writing time: 4 hours

Manifestation: 100%

1 comment:

B said...

Great stuff from Lao Tzu. So simple and yet so profound.

I think that you (and almost everyone else for that matter) haven't mastered these perils of wisdom because you've been participating in a world that doesn't seem to value such. Aspiration for power/money/pleasure don't help us achive the wisdom of Lao Tzu. So, naturally, you strive to live by such virtues as these proposed by Lao Tzu, but you are still living in a world that values power/money/pleasure, etc. There is a huge contradiction there.

So, how does a person strive to master such virtues by making them a way of life but also participate in a world that seemingly has little or no regard for said virtues? That's the journey you are on. Part of me feels that a person must truly master these virtues by living them out fully and consistently before they can truly help others do the same. But more and more, I feel that we still have a tremendous capacity to help others as ourselves strive for such wisdom.