Thursday 21 June 2007

Day 99 - siddartha

I can't quite explain how deeply I've been affected by the book Siddartha by Herman Hesse.

I'd read and re-read Narcissus and Goldmund. I loved every word.

But nothing prepared me for the brilliant, spiritual simplicity of Siddartha.

It feels like this book was delivered to me just at the right time. A few years ago I couldn't get through the first chapter... boredom reigned. How I laugh at that now. To be bored by this most stunning tale is to expose a darkened, jaded soul to the universe.

But even this time around, it took me a while to get going on it.

Then I had a little trigger to return to it a few days ago and I got through the 140 pages in no time at all, literally smiling from ear to ear as I read it.

I feel like this book has confimred to me so much I've learnt in the past few years - it really feels as if the words have removed doubt.

All the things Siddartha experiences - desire, family dynamics, friends, the removal of desire, the rejection of religion, attachment and the cessation of attachment, death, learning, oneness, unity, nature... and finally love, are all things I have come across for the first time in the past few years.

This book is so good that it actually waited for me...

I read it when I was ready.

Funny how it worked for me so well, huh?

Writing time: 5 hours

Manifestation: 100%

4 comments:

B said...

I too share your sentiments about this amazing tale. And so beautifully put: "this book is so good that it actually waited for me."

I picked it up last year (exactly a year ago...last June) at the bookstore on campus the day my sister called me from Baltimore and said she wanted to leave her job and come home right away. We booked me a ticket and less than 48 hours later, I was boarding a plane to help move her back. I had heard wonderful things about Hesse by several people, but something drew me to this book that day. I was selecting something to read on the flight over and Siddhartha chose me.

As I read the book, I was so overcome with awareness, feeling, sadness, joy, self-realization. I agree completely...had I picked this book up a few years ago, I would probably have abandoned it too. It wasn't time. I have even purchased this book for others but not one of them have yet to read it. But I hope the day will come when they too will find it "time." That's just it...when I find such beauty and inspiration, I want to share it with others. But I am learning that much awareness comes in its own time.

What I love most about this tale is the notion that everything is perfect all of the time. In our mistakes and failures lies perfection. Siddhartha's path in life is not so different from anyone's really. We have to endure and embrace our selfishness and struggle to achieve enlightenment.

Wow. Now, I am looking up at my bookshelves and wanting to re-read Siddhartha so badly. Something tells me that it is a lifelong companion...a touchstone of enlightenment. And thus, it begs to be read again and again.

I am so happy that it touched your life as well. And I'm even happier to witness your experiences and how you are fully embracing them.

Take A Year Out said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Take A Year Out said...

i can tell you this with total certainty:

everything that needs to find us, or that we need to find, will be found.

all we need to do is stop searching...

love your recent blogging BTW.

MJ

B said...

I agree with that. Sometimes, we search so hard that we fail to see the very thing right in front of us.