Wednesday 9 May 2007

Day 62 - british press coming round?

It's taking time to get my head back on London time after Vegas. Man - that place really spun me out.

Anyway, I was thrilled to see some positivity in a British newspaper - The Sunday Times no less, serial basher of The Secret and all things positive.

Shane Watson delivers her own, acutely boring and uninspiring version of self-help. It's actually quite amusing. She clearly believes in all things 'The Secret', but clearly has no idea how to put this across in her column without breaking the current code of British cynicism.

Her pearls of happiness / wisdom include:

- Let a car out of a side road with a smile, not a flap of the hand and a 'hurry up, you loser' expression
- Talk to an old lady in the queue at the supermarket
- Smile at people
- Say hello to people you come into contact with

HOW ABOUT THAT GUYS! I give you self-help done 'British'.

Actually SAY HELLO TO PEOPLE!

I mean, if everyone followed these rules, wouldn't the world be the most fantastic place. I mean, the thought had never occurred to me to talk to an old lady - in the supermarket of all places. I must try this liberating, happiness inducing experience. Of course I am being sarcastic - like most people I have always spoken to old ladies in supermarkets, because I am not afflicted with that awful affliction 'Britishness'.

But it does re-affirm my decision to move stateside. All you American guys offering such awesome comments recently (thank you thank you) can now see what I am faced with. It's plain to see that a work such as The Secret is streets ahead of anything out there on the market, and it bugs brits to see something do so well 'over here' that is from 'over there'.

I mean, to become a self-help guru in this country, god knows where you would have to start. In fact, here are my 5 directives for a new book idea - 'Self Help for Brits':

1) Don’t kill anyone today, it feels really good
2) Try not to be unfaithful to your partner - for a whole week
3) If you don't tell anyone to f**k off for a whole day, your world will be a happier place
4) Rape - avoid it wherever possible because it is against the law
5) Remember you are British and thus more important than other species - always behave in this manner

However, I would wager that Watson's article is a result of a feature's meeting at The Sunday Times where it was fully recognised that there has not been ONE positive piece of publicity about the BEST SELLING DVD and book title of 2007.

Now how can that be?

Are all those people wrong?

Nope.

I'm so looking forward to America.

Writing time: 5 hours (first acceptable workload for a week due to Vegas and house move)

Manifestation: 95%

5 comments:

B said...

Haha. I enjoyed reading the "pearls of happiness/wisdom" you posted by Watson. Yet, truly, if more people committed to these simple acts of kindness, the world would be a significantly better place. And how simple and humane those acts are! Even better, I think your "Self Help for Brits" is hilarious and likely the best-seller!

Unfortunately, the term "self-help" causes much eye rolling, often relegating the entire concept to weak individuals who only read about helping themselves but never do. There is a definite stigma attached to "self-help," even here in America.

But, in my mind, this is where the greatest opportunity lies for you ...if you can find a way to reconstruct that notion of self-help, you are on to something. I have not yet read The Secret (although at this point, you and Kim have pretty much solidified that I must!), but regadless of all the criticism that exists (regardless of whether it is British or American), there are MANY people out there looking for inspiration and strength.

And really...there will always be cynics and endless criticism by those who are unsatisfied with their own choices and character (and yes, the media is a great perpetuator of such). The insecure will almost always attempt to transfer their insecurities to the secure. I am always amused by the fact that people are often far more kind and loving towards a person when they are struggling versus when that person is succeeding. There is a contempt that many hold for the successful...as another person's success often reminds one of their failings/inadequacies.

Okay, with all this rambling... America is by no means perfect but I do think America does hold much potential and there is a great opportunity for you here...even just to spend a few months over here to change your perspective a bit and inspire your goal further.

Hope this week proves productive for you. As always, best wishes.

Unknown said...

yes, it is quite surprising how readily strangers are prepared to turn their armoured urban personas into one of open warmth once it has been penetrated by a friendly word. they feel better, you feel better. net result, a win-win. splendid.

Kim/Thomas said...

See I told you B would be great for your manifestation:) When she reads the secret...oooh watch out!! She will be a good manifester:) she is already doing it, being positive making it happen!

Have her tell you about her lifelong dream of going to Paris...yep, she just did it! She dreamed of it, and then did it...there was no stopping her!

I'm so excited to be reading your manifestation...because what people don't realize is...when your book is published...we will have seen it happen here, even with all the doubting people..we will see you move...see you make a change...see you become a success, all because of the secret and that you believed it could happen! (okay, that is way corny, i should stop now..)
kim

B said...

Okay, Kim has me seriously blushing over here. But truly, I am happy that she turned me onto your blog. I've been in a state of rumination and reflection this last year. Inspiration does not come by willpower and as soon as I really came to accept that, I stopped putting so much pressure on myself to be constantly writing. I've been devouring fiction and reading The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama. And I've just allowed things to be.

When Kim mentioned your blog and I read through your posts, I was really struck by your journey. And now suddenly, I feel that inspiration to write gradually working itself up again. So, thank you. It is so beneficial to have various sources of inspiration (namely, other positive and creative people), beacause despite our individual strength and vision, it really does take outside support and inspiration to fully realize our dreams.

I'm really going out and getting The Secret today. :)

Kim/Thomas said...

I am just curious:) (and stop looking at me that way)...I was re-reading day 1...and about half way down, you were talking about love being right around the corner? Has that happened yet? just curious!