Tuesday 29 May 2007

Day 80 - the directors cut

Been on a movie binge recently - watched Wolfgang Peterson's full length version of Das Boot last night.

Epic.

It's about young U-Boat commanders being sent to sea by Hitler before they are truly ready. I found it incredibly inspiring - considering it's set on a submarine and I am chronically claustrophobic.

At the moment, I sort of feel like I've only just taken the reigns in my life... And although this blog is now 80 days old, it still feels very much in its infancy.

Yet my re-launch is nearly at the stage we all know and love as 'manifestation'. Am I ready?

When I say 'nearly', I mean there are only a few tasks to perform before 'going public'... And these might take time. And like a director who painstakingly takes a whole day to shoot 10 seconds of usable footage, or sits at the edit suite for weeks on end to ensure the love between his lead actors is believable, these tasks must be completed correctly.

I've slipped at the final hurdle too many times to mention. I can't let it happen again.

I feel like a director who finally gets to do a personal 'cut' for his masterpiece's re-release on DVD, without the constraints of a big studio saying it's too long or too complicated for theatrical release.

I've taken control of my own movie for the first time...

And overnight success is not the goal.

I mean... I am sure I would have been fine, taking the conventional route. Indeed, if I had been lucky enough to get a good mentor here and there, I could have climbed the ladder and ended up pretty 'successful'.

Or would I?

Does a cat ever really get used to its cage at the zoo...?

The feeling I am experiencing just now is one of 'extreme vitality'.

I feel properly alive for the first time ever. And I want this feeling for everyone - but the matrix transpires against me.

Time to expose that racket.

The director's cut is underway.

Here's to a sprawling, beautifully shot epic.

A summer blockbuster with a happy ending.

Think Wolfgang Peterson's version of Das Boot - without the war, submarines, death and claustrophobia.

BTW: How did this guy go on to make 'Troy'?! Weird.

Writing time: 3 hours

Manifestation: 100%

4 comments:

B said...

Your 'cut' already shows tremendous potential. The vulnerability that comes with your great relaunch makes it all real. There is a beauty in looking back on all those times in which we've "slipped" (I tend to refer to my own experiences as "falling on my face") and realizing that was all a part of our growth. And that experience will undoubtedly make overcoming the hurdle that much more rewarding.

I like that phrase, "extreme vitality." It seems quite in line with one of my favorites: "the rapture of being alive."

By the way...Das Boot is a great movie. I haven't seen it in forever.

Kim/Thomas said...

I agree with b, but of course cannot say it so eloquently...she has such a way with "words" ;)

I'm curious, what does going public mean? will you reveal your true self?

How will you reach young people? 20 somethings are a bitch, and I have a nephew...who I know he feels as though he has it all together sometimes...but I see him as making all these mistakes...although, i guess sometimes to grow, you must make mistakes...sigh...this will be so hard for me when my boys are older...i know they must make mistakes in order to learn, but i will just cringe..i wish i could have them avoid those said, growing mistakes...(being a parent is hard:)

you have such a way with words...you and B, should brainstorm together...i have seen over the last year, her go through so much and her insight (a womens point of view) is as deep as yours! I really feel that she is the other half of your yang (or yin) that you may need for your journey...does that sound silly, what I mean is when people write books and only have a male point of view..the female point is very different, although it can still be somewhat relateable...argh..i have such a hard time with my "words"...anyway, boys and girls learn differently and when my boys have a male teacher, they pick it up so easily...when girls have a girl teacher, they excell, predominatly primary grades here are female teachers, and later grades are sometimes more male teachers...it could explain why boys are sometimes behind girls in learning...girls teach like girls learn and same for boys....(oh boy rambling and should stop now) anway..i see you and the below commenter as having very similiar view that are uncanny..i'm just saying you should email eachother and brainstorm..i wouldn't want you to write a book for just boys...20 something girls sometimes need more help:)

signed, the alllovertheplacerandomcommenterwhocan'tgetherwords straightinorder (kim:)

Kim/Thomas said...

correcting...above commenter

Take A Year Out said...

Hi Guys -

'Going public?' - all will be revealed before too long...

Re: mistakes / falling on our faces / 'failure!!!' - amen to anyone who tries in the first place. attempting to do one extraordinary thing to escape a life of ordinariness is just about as alive as a human being can feel. Enjoy watching your boys make their giant steps!

Re your comments on boys and girls, i read them thursday and have been thinjking about it since. Although I think most of the issues I deal with in the book are universal - debt, stress, drugs etc, I always welcome the opportunity to brainstorm with like minded individuals...

B - would be great to email as kim suggests. In fact - i think kim has my personal email address so look forward to hearing from you.