Monday 14 May 2007

Day 67 - MJ's legacy

We're sticking with the Hero theme.

At the request of 33% of my readership (B), I have been considering what type of hero i would like to be.

I feel no shame in writing this: I want to be a hero.

And it occurs to me that this whole blog has elements of superhero to it... Anonymous... Masked... Performing seemingly magical tasks.

But in these increasingly enlightened days I can quite stand just being me.

Actually, whom am I kidding?

I want to be something better. There I said it - kaizen and all that. Better, stronger, more influential, more confident and more interesting. Richer too.

I wanna help people - my purpose has to help others as well as myself.

My heroes are a case in point. A mixture of helpers / teachers, sports stars, anti heroes, poets, writers, puritans, degenerates and politicians.

I think one thing they all have in common are they all started out 'ordinary', if there is such a thing. In fact, having taken a 30second reflective period at the beginning of this sentence, I think by definition, in order to mean something extraordinary to me, you need to start ordinary. Take airline bosses - such a mundane type of hero when you consider the pantheon of greatness we have to choose from. But Stelios, the Greek billionaire owner of Easyjet (omnipresent budget euro carrier), will never be extraordinary because we all know his father is a shipping billionaire, which is a hell of a head start in life. But Richard Branson started out with nothing (certainly not billions anyway) - his first business was a student newspaper, his second a record shop. And now Virgin Atlantic. That is extraordinary.

Anyway, I digress.

What type of hero do i want to be?

I remember not so far back reading a long interview about Viggo Mortensen (in the dreaded Sunday times, again!), who played Aragorn (big time hero) in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Mortensen came across as mystical and spiritual, but the feckless hack doing the interview (and clearly having a hard time getting anything usable) covertly slagged him off throughout the article, and concluded that all Mortensen really wanted was to 'be a hero', clearly implying there was something wrong with such ambitions.

That's the problem - all my angst is summed up there. The cynics of this world - so firmly in the matrix - are programmed to ridicule aspirations toward things such as heroism. Imagine - all the readers of that article (over 4m people if you believe the figures) were left with the impression that it was 'sad' or 'uncool' to want to be a hero.

What a negative, destructive effect on the world - one sentence sending so many scurrying back to the safety of their little rock-pool lives, away from the wonders of the big blue ocean... I am the king of analogy.

Journalists!

Everyone should want to be a hero.

I guess in my youth I wanted to be a sports star. Or maybe a superhero of some description... Which is kinda what i am trying to be via this blog I think. But as I hit 30 I realise both these might suck...

Why? Because I wouldn't be being myself.

Being a sports star really does not appeal. Money good, everything else bad.

And Spiderman's difficult love life, and whether or not to be spidey or peter parker, are well publicised - I already have enough conflict in my life without having a mankind saving alter ego to slip into at night. Batman has similar problems. Bruce Wayne? Classic case of money can't buy happiness.

BUT - are there parallels with my own current existence here?

Here I am, aged 30, deciding what kind of hero i want to be.

Writing an anonymous, masked blog every day... Posing as the person I actually want to become... Maybe all I need to do is continue doing what I am doing and everything will manifest in front of me as The Secret suggests...?

Maybe I'm already there?

Then why would I hide?

I guess this blog is anonymous because I am still figuring out exactly what I am going to be, and exactly what this book is going to be. There will come a time, soon I think, where I will be happy to face cross examination on my mission and my product.

And when that time comes I guess I will have to do this blog for real - as the real me.

But the key to both these things is I already am that person - I'm just undiscovered. And as yet unfinished. A work in progress, just like my blog. And what the universe is teaching me is whatever is meant to be is meant to be... As long as I trust in my path and continue to do the necessary work, I will be discovered when the time is right. And following that, I will unveil myself to the world via a new blog (possibly my book) when I am ready to face whatever inquisition might come my way.

Rather like a superhero, my mask will come off.

And I will be that person - me - the same person I have been all along. It's just that everyone else will know about it.

Emerson said: 'We all but half express ourselves, and are ashamed of that divine idea which each of us represents'.

Not this one.

As Martin Luther King said 'Here I stand, I can do no other.'

I know I'm doing something different - and it may be that it is my public metamorphosis into enlightenment that is what propels me into success.

So I guess it's difficutl for me to say which hero I would like to be, because I already am who I want to be.

I'm already a Hero.

It's just not quite time for anyone else to realise that.

I'm a hero in my own proverbial lunch hour - for now.

Writing time: 6 hours

Manifestation: 100%

2 comments:

B said...

I really agree with your "ordinary" common thread when choosing heroes. I too esteem those from more simple backgrounds as well. They are real and they have a greater capacity for appreciation, ideally. They are far more inspiring than those who inherited their opportunities and wealth.

Heroes are loved and hated. The movie Gladiator immediately comes to mind. The truly good people are often hated for their strength of character and integrity. And are often persecuted horribly as a result. It makes sense...misery loves company after all and despite my innate optimism...this world is ruled by those who sell their souls for power and wealth.

I think this leads to a general paradox about society...seeming respect and admiration for the virtuous but endless slander of those very people who embody such. We are crying for charismatic leaders with integrity but we don't seem to pave the path for such people but rather, sabotage any possibility.

You mention in this post that down the road, maybe, "I will have to do this blog for real - as the real me." Isn't this real? You don't have to put your name, face, and address on this for it to be real. Nor do you need to fully disclose your greatest fears and weaknesses for it to be real. This is REALLY your life right now and what you are doing for yourself is tremendous. I am amazed by how fearful people seem to be of true introspection. It isn't easy by any means, but it leads to incredible self-discovery, and in that all things are truly possible.

Maybe you are not yet discovered but think about how incredible this journey is. I look at older people and they are so fond of their early days...the days of struggles and scraping money together to make it all happen. I never hear retired people talk endlessly about the moment they really hit success. The journey is far more lasting than the thing itself.

Yet again, you've inspired me. I'm going to post about my conception of hero tomorrow, with a link to this post (hope that's okay!). But really, isn't that incredible...that you could inspire and challenge someone across the world? The first thing I look for in a hero is their devotion and eagerness to help inspire others to be the best they can be. You are already doing that.

Also...I am slightly concerned that you list politicians as belonging to your group of heroes... but no judgment! :) Ha ha. And actually, I think I'm more like 33.33333% of your readership but one day soon that will drastically change! Keep manifesting...you are tackling incredible issues right now and they will no doubt lead to your success and happiness if you allow them to. :)

Kim/Thomas said...

OK and now for an incredibly stupid and simple comment...:) (seriously, I cannot make a comment like B, sometimes you guys sound you are the same person or same brain:)
But I will say, what an excellent journey you are on, and honestly I am sitting here picturing you as the peter parker type or clark kent:)
can't wait to see you take your mask off:) But that is just cause I am nosey:)

ohh lalala, as thomas would say...I really have to post a comment that is more intelligent:) but then again that would take so much time and that is not me:)
Great post!
KIM:)