Wednesday 16 May 2007

Day 69 - heavyweights slug it out to avoid 'homespun philosophy'

There is a guy who tried to hit on a girl here in London by sending her pictures of himself dressed up as a cowboy, with his thoughts and meditations on life written below... Unimpressed, his love interest forwarded the email, which went round the world several times...

And the press are accusing the hapless young turk of 'homepsun philosophy'.

The phrase sends a shiver down my spine.

As this week is dedicated to Heroes, I’ve been reading up on Lao Tzu… He wrote the Tao Te Ching at some point between the 5th&3rd centuries… and it’s still a spiritual bestseller.

Here’s to How To Survive Your 20’s enjoying similar success over the next 2500 years or so.

You could call Lao Tzu the Original Guru. The genesis of self-help.

But – I realised the other day when I wrote that my readers will prefer the likes of Lao Tzu to the likes of Anthony Robbins that I hadn’t really ever read any Anthony Robbins… So I’ve been reading him too.

Robbins is the giant of modern self-help.

But rather than notice the similarities between Lao and Tony (my new peers), I am confused by the acute differences in their fundamental approach, and I am wandering which path How To Survive Your 20’s should take…

Who speaketh the truth?

In a nutshell:

Lao Tzu is the zen master - he invented Yin and Yang, and believes that the Tao (the intelligent timeless spirit governing the universe) will take care of everything for us, that we should flow around obstacles – and not strive or struggle - that we should wait for the right moment – 'give up and you will succeed' etc.

Anthony Robbins believes we need to exert our own authority on life – the subtitle of his book ‘Awaken The Giant Within’ is ‘how to take control of your mental, emotional, physical and financial destiny’. Robbins’ worships 10-year plans – goal setting – he believes change happens in an instant.

Which path to take as the more beneficial for my readers?

I am finding much peace and progress from stillness at the moment – meditation, yoga, writing itself. And synchronistic things are happening for me. Which would indicate Lao Tzu was my guy.

But Robbins lives in the modern world. Robbins is attuned to the fact that our world is one of competition. Sit back and someone else will seize your opportunities. You know that Robbins has done it – you know his way worked for him, and you know it happened recently.

Should I really ask a 20something to sit back and relax and wait for the universe to deliver whatever it sees fit? It’s hard to imagine Lao Tzu as anything other than a character in an Ang Lee film, probably played by Chow Yun Fat, with Gong Li / Zhang Ziyi as the love interest… Sitting in a palace of wisdom in the orient… and all going on a very, very long time ago.

But that’s what appeals to my readers...

I guess Lao Tzu was directly in tune with the universe in its purest form, whereas Robbins’ theories correspond with its current state... Which let's face it is not all that pleasant.

Is Lao out of the matrix and Tony in it?

In fact, is Tony a part of the matrix?! His book begins with him in a jet helicopter, looking down on a 10,000 seat arena full of his fans, and he sees the building he used to work in as a janitor! And he realises - this is it! He's won! Success at last.

That's not really where I'm at.

Plus Lao’s stuff is written in the language of the universe as opposed to ‘American’, which is truly the only place that Tony’s force field could have originated.

That’s what makes his stuff work so well – he dramatically improves normal lives (not to mention abnormal ones – presidents and movie stars seek out his guidance). He doesn’t want to get people out of the matrix he wants to get them to the top of it… He is working within the system.

Whereas I am trying to appeal to extraordinary young people. And Lao is just so much more... appealing. There is something of the 'head of school' about Tony.

I need to be somewhere between the two, leaning toward Lao- maybe 80% Lao and 20% Tony – leaving the matrixesque parts of Robbins behind and accelerating Tzu to the pace of modern life…

Whatever, I guess I am just petrified of being accused of ‘homespun philosophy’.

Lao Tzu to the rescue.

Writing time: 6 hours

Manifestation: 100%

4 comments:

B said...

With each post, it is obvious that you are manifesting like mad!

I too lean towards Lao Tzu, as much like my reading about the Dalai Lama...their philosophy and outlook transcends material success...that which Robbins embodies. There is a far greater quality about the happiness and success Tzu expounds.

However, most 20somethings are not there yet and many people are definitely not as introspective as we are. I often find most people my age and even older do not look beyond that desire for material success. But, that again provides great possibility for your quest. I think that, as you effectively suggest, there has to be a blend of both Tzu and Robbins.

For me, it seems that starting with Robbins/The Secret approach of encouraging individuals to realize their true power over their thoughts...good starting point. People need to believe in themselves first and foremost. And from there, I think you can effectively lead them more towards Tzu...true fulfillment and sense of self and humanity.

20somethings often dream of being rich and famous...leading exciting lifestyles with no barriers. As we get older (and I can really only speak from my own experience and observation, obviously), it seems that we come to realize that there has to be more than money and power. And ideally, we turn inwards a result.

In your position, you could give 20somethings both...the sense that fulfilling their dreams is absolutely possible, but also inspiring them to realize and accept who they are and seek true fulfilmment in life. Part of my biggest struggle as a 20something was always worrying about what others thought of me. And so, I often turned away from what I really was and tried to be something different (I loved English Literature but tried to force myself to be a Business major as an undergraduate...only to find myself miserable and eagerly returning to English Lit in grad school).

This is exciting. There is so much potential to help others here. Think about how much better the world would be if 20somethings really did turn towards such introspection!

And as I read this, I couldn't help but think of another great idea for a book...compiling the ideas/thoughts/practices of people like Tzu and Robbins into a book...something similar to the style of The Secret. Something like an anthology but with some of your own guidance and narration to connect the different perspectives and approaches.

B said...

Holy hell...one day I will post a comment that is under four sentences...I swear! And you will be shocked, I'm sure!

Take A Year Out said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Take A Year Out said...

Hey B - I hear you on 20somethings - they need help more than anyone! why won't they ask for it?!

That is why I am here I think.

Also I hear you on including other's opinions - I am already taking that route to avoid 'homespun philosophy'!

Off on a course - back next week.

MJ